The wonderful combination of health-friendly ingredients makes this meal a super food for people of all ages. The wise choice of vegetables and heart-friendly, low cholesterol (olive) oils adds more of health benefits to your body especially when your body weight is a priority. Enjoy this yummy meal with ingredients that won’t mess up with your body shape and the health at a large.
With a number of ingredients, One-pot Lentils plus Quinoa with spinach takes 10 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes to cook. With a standard recipe, this meal can be served to 4; however, you can adjust the servings to suit the table. The two main ingredients are nutritious and quite compatible for that tasty meal. Here is a comprehensive cooking direction you need to get started.
• Heat the oil in a cast iron pot or a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots and shallots and cook till the carrots soften. This takes about 4 minutes before adding mushroom. Continue heating till the mushrooms turn juicy; this takes another five minutes.
• Add red pepper flakes, garlic, and herbs. Stir the mixture for one minute.
• Pour in lentils and broth then add two cups of water. Boil the mixture, cover and reduce to simmer for the next 15 minutes.
• Remove the lid before adding quinoa & the remaining water. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil, cover for 15 minutes.
• Remove the pot from heat, uncover, and then add spinach while stirring gently to combine. Taste your meal and season with salt & pepper.
• Serve the meal with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh herbs & grated cashews,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon miso paste (optional)*
- 1/2 cup red quinoa (or variety of choice), uncooked
- 4 – 5 cups fresh spinach
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Olive oil, fresh herbs and grated cashews* to garnish