Pasta-e-fagioli is a traditional Italian soup dish. It is a great recipe for fitness and health enthusiasts due to its low calorie count. It contains 130-379 calories per serving according to the choice of ingredients used. Pasta e fagioli can be prepared with red kidney beans, cannellini beans, or butter beans. For lower calories and low fat component in the soup low-fat bacon or pancetta can be used. Vegetarians can omit and use vegetable stock instead of bacon or meat.
3/4 cups of Pasta ( macaroni or shells )
1 Onion finely chopped
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 Can of Cannellini beans, washed, rinsed and drained
1 Carrot diced
1 can of tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2 Garlic cloves crushed
2 Bay leaves
2 celery stalks, diced
200g Baby Spinach
3 cups Chicken Stock reduced of salt
3 short low fat bacon diced (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of chili to taste or chili powder
DIRECTION TO USE:
1. In a non-stick large pot cook diced low-fat bacon in 1 tsp of olive oil for a few minutes until the bacon turns brown. Add another teaspoon of olive oil and add finely chopped onion and cook until onion turns brown.
2. Add remaining olive oil and add vegetables; carrots, celery stalks, rosemary, chopped or diced to similar size and shape. Cook for few minutes then add crushed garlic. Sprinkle salt, pepper and chili or chili powder according to taste.
3. Now add bay leaves, Cannellini beans, herbs, tomatoes, and stock. Mix and cook on low flame for about 10 minutes.
4. Now add pre boiled pasta and If needed you can add more stock at this stage. After pasta is cooked thoroughly add baby spinach. Cook for a minute or two until the spinach starts to wilt.
5. Serve while hot with grated Parmesan cheese.
This quantity is great for 4 servings. This recipe contains 265 calories per serving.